Where We Are
We’re located on the southern bank of Ugandan’s largest national park; Murchison Falls National Park at an elevation of 1000m above sea level, along the tranquil River Nile and alluring sunsets.
Some of you may be wondering how to get to Nile Safari Lodge. But by means of road, it will take you around 5hours from Kampala with about 305 km.
Kampala – Masindi – Kichumbanyobo Gate – Mubako Gate (Via Park)
Nile Safari lodge is situated just outside the boundary of Murchison Falls National Park on the South bank of the River Nile. From Kampala drive northwards towards Gulu, turning off to Masindi at the Kafu River junction (approx. 3 hours after leaving Kampala). From Masindi turn opposite the second Shell fuel station (on the corner with Masindi Hotel) to follow the Uganda Wildlife Authority signs along the murram road to the National Park Kichumbanyobo gate. Drive through the Kanyo-Pabidi section of the Budongo forest, down the escarpment past the turning to the Top of the Falls and onwards towards the Paraa ferry point.
Shortly before reaching the river Nile (approx. 90 – 120 min from Masindi, depending on varying road conditions) there are 2 left hand turns. The second of these hosts a large Uganda Wildlife Authority sign as well as signage for Nile Safari Lodge and various other facilities in the area. Turn left here and drives past the park offices, through Mubako village and pass out of the park gate (approx 2.5km). Drive straight for approximately 150 metres and turn on right, after 50 metres you will see Nile Safari lodge gate.
Kampala – Masindi – Biso – Bulisa
For the more adventurous, one can also access the lodge via the escarpment road passing through Bulisa and Wanseko (see map below).
From Entebbe International Airport to Murchison Falls National park there several chattered flights that can be arranged in case you are interested. You can book domesticated chartered flights like Aero link Uganda, Eagle airlines and many more.
Air transport is easy and less tiresome best suitable for visitors who are not used to travelling long distances compared to road transport. The closest Airstrip is Bugungu Airstrip, which is 25 minutes drive to the lodge.
We also have a helipad on site. GPS Coordinates 2°15’08.7”N 31°31’10.2”E
- Entebbe -Bugungu is $2370. This is one way and the charter takes a Maximum of 11 passengers and it takes one hour (c208, Caravan).
- Helicopter for 3 passengers $3800 jet-ranger (Helicopter). This goes up to the lodge. It takes 1.5 hours one way.
- All the quotations are one way, drop and come back. In case of night stop or day stop it will incur charges.
Weather & When to Go
Nile Safari Lodge is open all year round. For those keen on photography, game and bird life is prolific, but bird-watching is enhanced during the months of October/November as the migratory species are in the region.
Fishing is generally best during the summer months (September to April) … but we do catch all year round.
Virtually all visitors to Uganda will need a visa to enter the country. Visit www.visas.immigration.go.ug and click “Start New Application”. Do not use any other website – or third party agent – to apply for your visa.
Visitors are also required to have at least two blank pages in their passport which must be valid for 6 months beyond your expected departure date from Uganda. As advice can change on a regular basis we recommend you check with the advice issued by your government’s State Department or Foreign Office before you set off on your journey.
Below are detailed instructions of how to apply for the Ugandan tourist visa online.
We recommend applying a week to 10 days before traveling to Uganda.
In order to complete the application in one sitting, you’ll need:
- A copy of the bio data page of your passport. Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond your arrival date.
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate.
- A recent passport sized photo.
Have these ready to upload. There’s currently no way to save your changes and come back later.
If you come from:
- COMESA countries (Angola, Comoros, Eritrea, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Seychelles, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe);
- EAC countries (Tanzania, Rwanda, Kenya, Burundi); or
- Antigua, Barbados, Bahamas, Belize, Cyprus, Fiji, Gambia, Grenada, Ireland, Jamaica, Hong Kong, Lesotho, Malta, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, St. Vincent-Tonga, The Grenadines, or Vanuatu –you are NOT subject to tourist visa fees and need not apply for a visa online, prior to arrival in Uganda.